new to the forum, collision group filtering
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:06 pm
Hi, I've been looking for a free, good physics engine for a long time, I've been disappointed by the current scene... most physics engines around are commercial, and the only reasonably good, and free engine has been ODE, although it's getting old very fast.
I recently found Bullet, and found it very interesting, and I am considering using it in my home project as a core collision detection system.
But, I have some questions I would like to know:
The authors think Bullet is mature enough to be used in a reasonably complex project? or it will explode at the first bump?
I'm planning to use only the collision detector, not the dynamics solver, but, I am going to place 100s of objects in scene, all the time, will be able to handle this stress?
Also, due to the nature of the project (let's just say it, a shooter), it's extremely important for me to be able to cull some collisions between objects, in this way:
For every collision object in the scene, I have 2 DWORD flags:
DWORD group; // indicates with a bit, which group pertains this object
DWORD groupmask; // this object will only detect collisions with all objects that give positive to this mask (objectA.group & objectB.mask == true) ... or something like that.
I need this because I don't want all the bullets colliding each other.
Also, it is possible to use a static, tri-mesh collision detection against lots of primitives? and, it is fast and stable?
Thanks in advance
I recently found Bullet, and found it very interesting, and I am considering using it in my home project as a core collision detection system.
But, I have some questions I would like to know:
The authors think Bullet is mature enough to be used in a reasonably complex project? or it will explode at the first bump?
I'm planning to use only the collision detector, not the dynamics solver, but, I am going to place 100s of objects in scene, all the time, will be able to handle this stress?
Also, due to the nature of the project (let's just say it, a shooter), it's extremely important for me to be able to cull some collisions between objects, in this way:
For every collision object in the scene, I have 2 DWORD flags:
DWORD group; // indicates with a bit, which group pertains this object
DWORD groupmask; // this object will only detect collisions with all objects that give positive to this mask (objectA.group & objectB.mask == true) ... or something like that.
I need this because I don't want all the bullets colliding each other.
Also, it is possible to use a static, tri-mesh collision detection against lots of primitives? and, it is fast and stable?
Thanks in advance