Number of iterations
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:15 am
I have heard a lot of statements in the last time about the number iterations needed to find a stable solution for stacking or articulated structures. Thanks to Erin Catto who shared a lot of information and Erwin Coumans who provides a sample implementation of this (along with his own collision library of course) for my understanding a good simulator must be able to run between 2 and 16 iterations depending on stack height or number of joints at the moment.
What is not so often mentioned is the timestep and the gravity used when measuring the iteration count. I assume that most of the time a fixed time step of 60 Hz along with a gravity of 10 is used - if not even smaller. I made the experience that the number of iterations needed to find a stable soltion drastically raises when the gravity gets higher and/or the timestep drops. So from my experience a proper simulator should run at a frequency of 30 Hz. Also higher gravity (about 30) looks much better than a gravity of 10.
I wonder what experiences others have made and how you deal with low or even worse varying timesteps? E.g. is a fixed timestep absolutely necessary or is it actually good enough to stay below some max stepsize. How do you deal with higher gravity or is a gravity of 10 simply a design principle like not stacking heavy objects on top of lighter ones. Finally I wonder how you deal with large angular velocities which can introduce a big amount of error into your system, since the linear approximation doesn't hold anymore?
Regards,
-Dirk
What is not so often mentioned is the timestep and the gravity used when measuring the iteration count. I assume that most of the time a fixed time step of 60 Hz along with a gravity of 10 is used - if not even smaller. I made the experience that the number of iterations needed to find a stable soltion drastically raises when the gravity gets higher and/or the timestep drops. So from my experience a proper simulator should run at a frequency of 30 Hz. Also higher gravity (about 30) looks much better than a gravity of 10.
I wonder what experiences others have made and how you deal with low or even worse varying timesteps? E.g. is a fixed timestep absolutely necessary or is it actually good enough to stay below some max stepsize. How do you deal with higher gravity or is a gravity of 10 simply a design principle like not stacking heavy objects on top of lighter ones. Finally I wonder how you deal with large angular velocities which can introduce a big amount of error into your system, since the linear approximation doesn't hold anymore?
Regards,
-Dirk