Future of collision detect used for physics
Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:02 am
I have been giving the GJK vs. BVH tri-mesh collision detection in the context of physics a lot of thought lately. And I wanted to kick off a discussion about what various physics engines are using, and where the experts think things will go in the near future.
In my physics engine I have a good implementation of GJK, and I am using EPA from SOLID. Recently I added a contact manifold which is essentially the same as the one in bullet. I have not had very good results though, I get a lot of jittering/popping and the manifold rarely stabilizes. I have a suspicion that the contact manifold code is tightly tied to bullets GJK results. Also, in general I feel like the whole idea of collecting enough contact points to find a collision plane is somewhat hackish -- I can imagine scenarios where those 3-4 frames of contact point collection make a big difference in how the simulation runs. I would feel much safer if I had a good collision plane immediately.
The simplicity of GJK is very appealing, but as I have struggled with my own physics simulation (particularly in the realm of contact handling), I have started to doubt if it's the best choice for video games.
Erwin, I noticed you just made a post in another thread saying that physics engines are dropping support for complex-complex collision detection and are going down the scene-graph of convex objects approach. Do you have some insider information you could share? As a counter point, it seems ODE performs complex-complex collision detection with great results.
I would love to get a sense of where some of the proprietary physics engines are going with collision detection and contact handling.
Thanks,
John McCutchan
In my physics engine I have a good implementation of GJK, and I am using EPA from SOLID. Recently I added a contact manifold which is essentially the same as the one in bullet. I have not had very good results though, I get a lot of jittering/popping and the manifold rarely stabilizes. I have a suspicion that the contact manifold code is tightly tied to bullets GJK results. Also, in general I feel like the whole idea of collecting enough contact points to find a collision plane is somewhat hackish -- I can imagine scenarios where those 3-4 frames of contact point collection make a big difference in how the simulation runs. I would feel much safer if I had a good collision plane immediately.
The simplicity of GJK is very appealing, but as I have struggled with my own physics simulation (particularly in the realm of contact handling), I have started to doubt if it's the best choice for video games.
Erwin, I noticed you just made a post in another thread saying that physics engines are dropping support for complex-complex collision detection and are going down the scene-graph of convex objects approach. Do you have some insider information you could share? As a counter point, it seems ODE performs complex-complex collision detection with great results.
I would love to get a sense of where some of the proprietary physics engines are going with collision detection and contact handling.
Thanks,
John McCutchan