Page 1 of 1

Friction higher on---(EDITED: step 10 should've said y-axis)

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:00 am
by Icoxo
1). make a box , more like a flattened box.
2). make a plane
3). set the flattened box to rigidbody and convex polytope
4). play the game
5). change the friction of both objects
6). play the game
7). change the friction again(to 0.050)
8). set up game logic so the box slides along the x-axis when a key is pressed using force or linV
9). play the game(the box slides).
10). repeat step 8 for the y-axis
11). play the game(the box jams and rotates like there is (a bit) higher friction)

-Last I know it was on the y-axis that the friction prevented it from sliding
-It seems to only appear with force or LinV is used using either local or global axis movement that is not up and down(the Dloc seems to work)
-Also, I observed using LinV, when the object rotates off the plane and the key is still pressed or the sensor is still activated it will not fall but keep on going.
-Also, when I dropped the flattened box far enough above the plane at a high enough gravity it falls through
-Just found out, when using LinV to move and it's not on a surface but in the air the object will not fall down (but extremely slowly)
-And also just found out, the friction's higher on the y-axis no matter what, if you slide idenical blocks on 2 sloping planes one facing each axis the block on the y axis plane will slide a lot slower then the one on the x-axis plane.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:35 pm
by Erwin Coumans
Thanks for the bugreport.

If it is not in the Blender UI I can fix it, otherwise I'll report it on the Blender developer mailing list.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:48 pm
by Icoxo
Hope it didn't confuse you, but step 10 had a typo, I meant y-axis and not x-axis.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:59 pm
by Erwin Coumans
can you provide a .blend file that shows the problem?

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:50 pm
by Icoxo
Erwin Coumans wrote:can you provide a .blend file that shows the problem?
I don't have a place to upload the file but I guess I could email a simple file to you that is if I could have your address through PM. (I said PM so i'd be the only one who sees it)

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:26 pm
by omicron
Hi,

Just to let you know that you can use http://rapidshare.de/ for such purposes. :wink:

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:26 pm
by pmudesign
I've also encountered this bug/problem. I've found that Icoxo's work-around only works with new scenes, at least that's the way it appears, because no matter how I change the settings in an existing scene (a ship simulator) I'm not able to get it to work.

If you still need example .blends, let me know, I can post them on my website.

BTW, Blender Game Engine and Bullet Physics are the -main reasons- I'm using Blender. I am very excited about what you're doing and look forward to future developments.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:39 pm
by Icoxo
I managed to do the workaround in an existing scene from a previous blender version and it worked, though I think the friction has to be quite low as usual. Still, it should be made so we don't need to do the workaround.