Page 1 of 1

Fully Destructible Environments

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:45 pm
by PolyVox
Hi,

This is my first time presenting my project on the Bullet forums but it's been on the Ogre forums for a while. It uses a volumetric representation to allow for fully destructible environments, and now has Bullet integration to allow bodies to interact with the world.

The bullet integration is at a very early stage and needs some optimizations but it basically works.

Demo:
http://www.david-williams.info/linked_f ... csDemo.zip
Runtime (install if you have a problem running the demo):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

YouTube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmZrdBBQThk
Higher Quality Video (Encoded with XViD):
http://www.david-williams.info/linked_f ... moXVid.Avi

Screenshot:
Image

The project is really two projects:

PolyVox Library: The underlying library which stores the volume representation of the world and is responsible for generating new meshes when the voxels change. This library is independent of graphics or physics library and the idea is that anyone can integrate it into their own engine.

Thermite Game Engine: An experimental game engine to showcase PolyVox technology by combining it with Ogre and Bullet.

Actually this separation is not quite complete but should be within a few weeks. Note that the code is not easily buildable on either Windows or Linux at the moment (you really have to know what you are doing) but as the separation proceeds and the code gets neater this should change.

Both projects are under the GPL, though I am considering changing this to something more liberal. But I need to think about this some more.

The corresponding thread on the Ogre forums is here: http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27394

Anyway, let me know what you think!

Re: Fully Destructible Environments

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:26 pm
by Murphy
*** Jaw Drop ***

I have been following this over on the Ogre forums for a little while and am really impressed by all the work you have done. I hope somebody puts this to good use in a game project eventually!

Anyways, I look forward to watching this progress further...

Re: Fully Destructible Environments

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:41 pm
by PolyVox
Thanks! I intend to keep at it so hopefully it makes it into a game one day!

Re: Fully Destructible Environments

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:18 pm
by PolyVox
***** Update: Now in Game Engine Gems 1 *****
Hey all,

I just wanted to let you know that the new book 'Game Engine Gems 1' features a chapter about the Thermite3D engine as described in this thread. The chapter (titled 'Volumetric Representation of Virtual Environments') is written by myself and covers storage of the voxels, the surface extraction, and the rendering process. Anyone interested in this technology should check it out!

You can find out more about the book at http://www.gameenginegems.com/

Unfortunately the article doesn’t discuss physics very much (Bullet is only mentioned in passing) but hopefully it is still interesting to you guys. To be honest the physics integration has been a little neglected so I hope to get back to it at some point!