Page 1 of 1

NEW p2p constraint demo blend file

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:57 am
by thinkofwhy
:D After a month or so I've finally got the constraints, torque and controls working enough to release a demo. But, because I'm using my own fixed build, I'm not releasing the blend file yet, just a video. Once I verify that it works with Erwin's 2.41 build, I'll post the blend file.

View the demo here: http://www3.telus.net/BulletBlender/

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:19 pm
by fobsta
very interesting

it would be nice if we could place constraints in the 3d window instead of having to code them (which is the case now - please correct me if I a wrong)

Demo Description

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:50 pm
by thinkofwhy
You're correct fobsta, for use in the game engine, p2p constaints can only be applied via python.

And, that reminds me, maybe I should describe what's going on in the demo video. It's mostly python code, first of all. When the user presses one of the WASD keys the following occurs:
  • - a constaint is applied at each vertex location of the bottom edge of the current front face of the selected cube.

    - then a global torque is applied to the cube on the axis which is perpendicular to the direction that the current front face is facing (by a call to the motion actuator).

    - if the cube completely tips over, then the WASD directions (left, front, right and back) are re-mapped onto the tipped-over cube.

    What took so long was getting the WASD mapping to work on a rolling cube.
That's the simple explaination about what's going on. :D

Multiple Dynamic p2p constraints

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:36 pm
by thinkofwhy
I've uploaded my build of the current bf-blender branch to the link above (1st post). It fixes the p2p constraints so that you can remove them. A blend file is coming soon. :D

p2p demo blend file

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:44 am
by thinkofwhy
See what Erwin's p2p constraints can do.

Experiment and have fun with the code. And post your feedback. :shock:

You'll have to use my blender build from the site as well. It's been fixed to enable constraint removal - which is a good thing. Enjoy :D

http://www3.telus.net/BulletBlender/

Re: p2p demo blend file

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:58 pm
by fobsta
thinkofwhy wrote:See what Erwin's p2p constraints can do.

Experiment and have fun with the code. And post your feedback. :shock:

You'll have to use my blender build from the site as well. It's been fixed to enable constraint removal - which is a good thing. Enjoy :D

http://www3.telus.net/BulletBlender/
Saw your post on Elysiun. We're having problems with a missing 'vector' module.

Missing vector module

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:06 pm
by thinkofwhy
Sorry :oops:, it didn't even occur to me to ensure that my local modules were included in the blend.
I've uploaded a new blend at the above link. It includes the vector module and should work.

Thanks for the post.

Erwin's new build

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:54 am
by thinkofwhy
UPDATE:

Erwin's latest build fixes the p2p constraint bugs.:D
So use that for my p2pCube.blend demo (at the above link) instead of my fixed build.