Page 1 of 1

Iterative gauss-seidel solver

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:32 pm
by boldt
Hi Guys

I'm working on a simulator where I use a iterative gauss-seidel method to solve for lagrange multipliers in my lcp problem.

This works quite well in most of the cases, but in some extreme cases I get a bad solution.

The problem is that my solver starts to cycle between solutions for the multipliers.

After my first iteration I might have a solution like

\lambda_1,1 , \lambda_1,2 , \lambda_1,3

and then

\lambda_2,1 , \lambda_2,2 , \lambda_2,3

and then another iteration where I get

\lambda_3,1 , \lambda_3,2 , \lambda_3,3.

Then the solver can start over and will find

\lambda_1,1 , \lambda_1,2 , \lambda_1,3

as a new solution. I guess it is because my problem somehow are illconditioned, but how should I solve this. Have any other experienced this behaviour with iterative gauss seidel solvers

Thanks
Niels