Page 1 of 1

build failure for pybullet project in VS2017

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:51 pm
by polycopter
I've cloned the git repo for bullet3, and built the solution on my Windows 10 machine using these steps:
1. run build_visual_studio_vr_pybullet_double.bat
2. load build3/vs2010/0_Bullet3Solution.sln into Visual Studio Community 2017 v.15.8.1
3. select "Build Solution"

everything builds except one project: pybullet -- it couldn't find <Python.h>... when I fixed that, the linker couldn't find python36_d.lib...

I can fix these errors, but I'm wondering: did I miss a step? If so, where is that step documented? If not, should I try to contribute a fix (assuming I can find one that won't break anything else, that fits the development guidelines, etc.) ?

Re: build failure for pybullet project in VS2017

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:59 pm
by Erwin Coumans
It is best to use 'pip install pybullet' to compile PyBullet.

Edit the build file and remove the --enable_pybullet and re-create the project files.

Compiling the Debug version of PyBullet is much mode work, since most Python distributions only ship with Release/optimized builds.
Find/install some Python distribution that has include and precompiled libraries.

Re: build failure for pybullet project in VS2017

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:54 pm
by polycopter
Thanks for this info. Should I try to update or add some documentation or anything, or is it considered fine as is? (I'm new around here ;-))