2D Rolling Friction for Box2D Based Engine
Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:30 pm
I have a 2D physics engine based closely on Box2D. I use distance grids for collision detection in order to have other arbitrary collision shapes beside boxes.
I've noticed when I try to simulate a wheel, the wheel jitters and jumps a lot once it gets moving at even moderate speeds. The collision detection is accurate so I assume its a friction thing?
There had been another post on these forums regarding implementation of a different friction model for rolling objects but I think that post was lost when the website went down a while back.
So, my question: How do I get started implementing a better friction model for rolling objects given the Box2D architecture as a starting point.
-Thanks
I've noticed when I try to simulate a wheel, the wheel jitters and jumps a lot once it gets moving at even moderate speeds. The collision detection is accurate so I assume its a friction thing?
There had been another post on these forums regarding implementation of a different friction model for rolling objects but I think that post was lost when the website went down a while back.
So, my question: How do I get started implementing a better friction model for rolling objects given the Box2D architecture as a starting point.
-Thanks