Hi Kenb.
I am glad you like Collada, I do too.
Maybe now you will have the time to make that battery of test you promised on that other unfinished discussion.
http://continuousphysics.com/Bullet/php ... highlight=
I decided to give higher priority to the implementation of the helper library to support Collada 1.4.1 files with Newton.
https://collada.org/public_forum/viewto ... 7a18f24902
Since Collada allow for some sort of standard (I like to call it same initial condition for every test, um that sounded like it is fundamental principle in numerical analysis and scientific method, but hey that's just me). Maybe this time the next “battery test” will be more available to the participant.
BTW KenB I run some of the collada files in this archive:
http://www.codesuppository.blogspot.com/
that were referenced to me in this convesation when I started the implemenation.
https://collada.org/public_forum/viewto ... c47cd#1782
I do not know if the files are still there, but I think that since you are so concerned with the correct modeling of conservation on momentum and and fiction, I thought that you will be glad to know that there are about a dozen files there most of them designed to show the stacking superiority of some engine (I think I get it, some engines stack lots of boxes) but two in particular are designed to show friction and restitution behaviour. One of them is very interesting, it consists of a series of pairs of box and a sphere at different hight paced in a role, each pair with different restitution for 0 to 1.0
I think Newton managed to reproduced the effect as intended for a long time before numerical errors build up make the simulation drift. It also passed the friction test, in fact I think it passed all of them.
I most say that it does slow down on the test designed to show how fast some engines are at huge stacking, but I am also let you know that it does not fail any of them despite running without the so call called auto sleep feature. (in fact there is not auto sleep on the viewer)
Note:
In case you do not believe me (I asume you do not) and you decide to try by yourself with some files or even better with the "battery test" of yours. It is possible the first time you open any of them they do not show up. Before you arrive to the conclusion that I am as wrong now as I was in your first tests, I would like to let you know that the reason they would not be visible is that most those files are not really Collada 1.4.1 compliance. Not at least according to the scheme and the very own validations tools.
Because I do not want any sort of misunderstanding, I made some special additions, to the viewer, like using the collision proxies as visual geometries, no using the camera parameter specified in the file and instead placing the camera to the center of the scene. Plus you may want to disable simulation before loading, so that you can position the camera very close and take very good look and tell me what I am doing so wrong maybe with your help I can make some improvement.
----------------------------
On another note I was reading the Collada physics paper that was published at the ACM web3d symposium and I could not help but noticed that there seem to be a recurrent pattern when the member of the Collada group speaks or writes about collada.
They say that Collada is intended to be a standard for physic and graphics, however there is not reference “most popular graphics engine” when speaking of the advantage of using collada for graphics.
For examples it does not mention engines like Unreal, quake, Ogre, and others despite the fact that most of those engines do support callada in their tool chain.
When It comes to describe the physics part however, there seems to be an emphasis in pointing out which physics engines are popular and which aren't
This is what it said in the front page
Rigid Body Dynamics
Rag Dolls
Contraints
Collision Volumes
Enables data interchange between Ageia (PhysX), Havok, Bullet, ODE and other game physics middleware
and again this paper re-inforce the same message.
To be practically useful, a standard physics representation needs to
map well to functionality of popular rigid body dynamics engines
[Ageia] [Havok] [Bullet] [Open Dynamics Engine].
So I was trying to figure out what was the criteria for picking these engines in particular. I was thinking of:
- -It is not Open source because two out of the four are close source.
-It is not commercial because two are free with not commercial license.
-It is not Collada integration because Havoc and ODE do not have it.
-I am not sure if real popularity in turns of user base, unless there is some survey I was not aware off reported some facts.
I was under the impression that collada was a free standard, and as such any user of any physics or graphic library can use it to import and export files. In not way, shape or form the integration of Collada into a physics or graphics engine will make that particular engine better or worse.
The article also list a series of features an engine must support in order to successfully comply with collada specification and again none of the engines in the list support all of them. But guess what Newton do and surpasses it.
There are about a dozen physics middleware developers that are all trying to succeed marketing their product for whatever reason, but for some reason Collada organization decided to ignore all of them, and I can not figure out what makes these other engines so different that no one of them qualify to be even mentioned.
I do know that when a physics library is percieve to be inferior to any of the listed engines these same members do not hesitate to go to great detail making the comparison, in some cases it is ridicule and made fun off.
In fact I do not even think it matters if a library have to be better or worse than any other, for all I know Collada is not any IEEE organization in charge of deciding what a physics engine should or should not do.
I cannot speak for the rest of the developers but I know that not matter how particular the definition of popularity used to select these specific engines over and over again in each presentation, It is almost impossible that in the search none of these user showed up.
http://www.physicsengine.com/links.html
I would hate to think that there is some kind of subliminal message delivered in these papers and presentation, and it is better to ignore other developers by sweeping then under the rug rather than facing the real facts.