Page 1 of 1

Response with closest points

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:27 am
by utku
Hi,

I am working on a impulse based simulation. My collision detection algorithm returns 2 closest points, I am using it as a collision plane normal. But I did not figure out how to handle collision of other features(faces, edges), since the closest points does not have to be unique, actually an edge for example can be the closest feature, that is the common practice for solving this situation, do I need the actual collision face, or can I get away with iterative approach?

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:53 am
by Jan Bender
Hi,
I am working on a impulse based simulation. My collision detection algorithm returns 2 closest points, I am using it as a collision plane normal. But I did not figure out how to handle collision of other features(faces, edges), since the closest points does not have to be unique, actually an edge for example can be the closest feature, that is the common practice for solving this situation, do I need the actual collision face, or can I get away with iterative approach?
If you have multiple contact points like in the case of an edge and a face as closest feature, you can handle this collision with an iterative approach. I do exactly the same. My approach is described in the paper

"Constraint-based collision and contact handling using impulses"

which you can find on my website http://www.impulse-based.de.

Hope that helps,

Jan

thanks

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:45 am
by utku
Thanks Jay, I had noticed your papers before interesting, they will be very helpful.