Page 1 of 1

Collision shape designer tool

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:39 pm
by Dragonlord
Would be interested to know if somebody uses such a tool or knows one which would be of use. What I am looking for is a tool with which I can create analytical shapes like a box or capsule around a 3d Mesh. Hence I want to engulf the mesh in boundary boxes approximating the mesh. I can misuse Blender3D for this but if there is a simpler way it would not hurt.

--
Pl?ss Roland

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:33 am
by Erwin Coumans
I am working on a simple basic prototype of 'Open Physics Composer.

This is exactly what you describe, and similar to FX Composer, but injecting physics/collision info instead of shaders.

You can find some early info and screenshot of it in todays' small Khronos GDC presentation of COLLADA Physics. It has a Windows MFC UI, but it will be released as open source, so you can do your own binding. It uses COLLADA DOM to import/export COLLADA files, but other file formats are fine too.

You can also look into using Blender, 'CreateDynamics' and 'Scythe' physics editor.
Erwin

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:37 pm
by Dragonlord
Your tool sounds nice. Scythe seems like closed source and though looking good imposes troubles. Looks like Blender then has to be misused for the time being.

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:26 pm
by Cirdan
Hi!

I did something like it, EXTREMLY primitive though: http://geom.dowhatyoufeel.de

Cirdan

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:08 am
by stephanh
I tried the blender collada exporter today, but it seems to lack compound support and development of the exporter looks pretty dead unfortunately.

erwin, may i ask whats the ETA of your open physics composer?

thanks alot,

regards,
stephan