Search found 6 matches

by michael
Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:27 pm
Forum: Research and development discussion about Collision Detection and Physics Simulation
Topic: Baraff's LCP solver with friction
Replies: 7
Views: 24078

Ok then, I'll just direct this one at Redon, since I know he has successfully implemented Baraff's algorithm with friction: Could you give us (I think more people have encountered this problem) a hint on how you implemented friction in your contact solver? I remember reading somewhere that you const...
by michael
Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:21 pm
Forum: Research and development discussion about Collision Detection and Physics Simulation
Topic: Baraff's LCP solver with friction
Replies: 7
Views: 24078

Baraff's LCP solver with friction

(This is aimed at whoever read or implemented Baraff's algorithm, described in his paper from 1994) I'm trying to implement it, but got stuck in the friction part. In part 5.6 in Baraff's paper, he extends the 2D algorithm (with the sets CF, NC- and NC+) to three dimensions (with only two sets: CF a...
by michael
Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:30 pm
Forum: Research and development discussion about Collision Detection and Physics Simulation
Topic: LCP solvers and nonpenetration CCD
Replies: 2
Views: 10519

LCP solvers and nonpenetration CCD

Hello all, I've implemented continuous collision detection that allows no interpenetration (based on Redon's method). Currenly I'm using an impulse based approach to handle simultaneous collisions (resting contacts are handled as microcollisions). I'd like to move to some analytical form of LCP solv...
by michael
Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:42 pm
Forum: Research and development discussion about Collision Detection and Physics Simulation
Topic: Interval arithmetic, interpenetration, repositioning
Replies: 8
Views: 27147

I have a few more questions about interval arithmetic collision detection - this time performance issues. 1. This is meant for whoever has any experience with simulators that use interval arithmetic - what sort of performance should I expect from my simulator? Is this method suitable for real time s...
by michael
Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:27 pm
Forum: Research and development discussion about Collision Detection and Physics Simulation
Topic: Interval arithmetic, interpenetration, repositioning
Replies: 8
Views: 27147

Thank you both for your detailed replies. There's just one more thing I don't understand: how do I feed the contact points, detected by the continuous algorithm, into a constraint solver such as the one proposed by Baraff? (I'm not sure I should call it a constraint solver because I don't think he m...
by michael
Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:35 pm
Forum: Research and development discussion about Collision Detection and Physics Simulation
Topic: Interval arithmetic, interpenetration, repositioning
Replies: 8
Views: 27147

Interval arithmetic, interpenetration, repositioning

Hello all. I guess this question seems relevant mostly to Redon, but since I'm a newbie I believe almost anyone will be able to resolve my confusion. 1. I use interval arithmetic for continuous collision detection. However, I don't use screwing motion as described by Redon in some of his papers, but...