<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:lang="en-gb">
	<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/9739" />

	<title>Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum</title>
	
	<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/index.php" />
	<updated>2014-02-05T18:02:21+00:00</updated>

	<author><name><![CDATA[Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum]]></name></author>
	<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/9739</id>

		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[mobeen]]></name></author>
		<updated>2014-02-05T18:02:21+00:00</updated>

		<published>2014-02-05T18:02:21+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=32858#p32858</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=32858#p32858"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Re: continuum mechanical model for cloth simulation]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=32858#p32858"><![CDATA[
OK thanks for the clarifications Francesco. Its actually a different story altogether when u introduce collision and in particular self-collision into the performance stats. And I suspect when u add that in, particle based approach will certainly show better performance but still its an interesting comparative study.<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=8124">mobeen</a> — Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:02 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[guernika]]></name></author>
		<updated>2014-02-05T17:58:42+00:00</updated>

		<published>2014-02-05T17:58:42+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=32857#p32857</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=32857#p32857"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Re: continuum mechanical model for cloth simulation]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=32857#p32857"><![CDATA[
Hi Mobeen,<br><br>1) The cloth it is a triangle mesh of 1024(32*32) vertices, and the cylinder is a triangle mesh made up by 760 vertex. I used maya to create the scene. <br>The timing results are displayed on the video: elapsed time and simulation time. Elapsed time is the time to compute the simulation, while simulation time is the time of the numerical simulation. <br><br>2)  The solver handles only triangle meshes. I compute the stress of each triangle from the green deformation tensor. The approach is quite similar to the works of Volino. Further, as I previously said, my implementation still does not account for bending forces.<br><br>3) In my previous post I forgot to say that I used bullet for collision detection. At the moment there is no check for self collisions.  My investigation is not about collisions, but in cloth mechanical model. I will use bullet for collision detection also in the future implementations accounting for self collisions.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Francesco<br><br><br>quote="mobeen"]A couple of questions to ask you?<br><br>1) What were the resolutions of these meshes and what were the timing results for these videos.<br>2) How different is your model from the <a href="http://www.matthiasmueller.info/publications/GI2004.pdf" class="postlink">standard continuum model</a> where the mesh is represented in the form of tetrahedra/hexahedra and then FEM is solved on these elements?<br>3) Does your model consider self collision also and how does your model perform during self collision? The real test is the ribbon free fall from a set of feeders when the cloth settles on top of itself in the form of folds.[/quote]<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=6632">guernika</a> — Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:58 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[mobeen]]></name></author>
		<updated>2014-02-05T17:11:25+00:00</updated>

		<published>2014-02-05T17:11:25+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=32855#p32855</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=32855#p32855"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Re: continuum mechanical model for cloth simulation]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=32855#p32855"><![CDATA[
A couple of questions to ask you?<br><br>1) What were the resolutions of these meshes and what were the timing results for these videos.<br>2) How different is your model from the <a href="http://www.matthiasmueller.info/publications/GI2004.pdf" class="postlink">standard continuum model</a> where the mesh is represented in the form of tetrahedra/hexahedra and then FEM is solved on these elements?<br>3) Does your model consider self collision also and how does your model perform during self collision? The real test is the ribbon free fall from a set of feeders when the cloth settles on top of itself in the form of folds.<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=8124">mobeen</a> — Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:11 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[guernika]]></name></author>
		<updated>2014-02-05T16:22:20+00:00</updated>

		<published>2014-02-05T16:22:20+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=32854#p32854</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=32854#p32854"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[continuum mechanical model for cloth simulation]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=32854#p32854"><![CDATA[
Dear all,<br><br>I have just developed a cloth simulation engine. The mechanical model is not particle based but it use continuum mechanics.<br>It is quite stable (for the same physics based scene I can use the same integration timestep of the default bullet solver), and also fast. I have to extend the mechanical model in order to account for friction and bending force.<br>IMHO simulation looks quite better than the particle based approach.<br>I posted on youtube two comparison videos of the two approaches, using bullet as reference for particle based simulation.<br>You can find the links in the following lines.<br><br>continuum mechanics with static cylinder:<br><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1iJkAJhiVQ&amp;feature=youtu.be" class="postlink">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1iJkAJh ... e=youtu.be</a><br><br>particle based with static cylinder:<br><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V_4gvfmgZA" class="postlink">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V_4gvfmgZA</a><br><br>continuum mechanics with moving cylinder:<br><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEKL1ugXIzk" class="postlink">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEKL1ugXIzk</a><br><br>particle based with moving cylinder:<br><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0W_qj7Pw5o" class="postlink">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0W_qj7Pw5o</a><br><br><br>Any feedback will be appreciated.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Francesco<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=6632">guernika</a> — Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:22 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
	</feed>
