<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:lang="en-gb">
	<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/949" />

	<title>Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum</title>
	
	<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/index.php" />
	<updated>2007-01-30T19:52:29+00:00</updated>

	<author><name><![CDATA[Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum]]></name></author>
	<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/949</id>

		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[mewert]]></name></author>
		<updated>2007-01-30T19:52:29+00:00</updated>

		<published>2007-01-30T19:52:29+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=3391#p3391</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=3391#p3391"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Featherstone Stability]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=3391#p3391"><![CDATA[
I had the same problem with Featherstone.  Since the joints are stiff you end up with an effect like cracking a whip; in the demo you described.  So the angular velocity for the last link in your chain gets really high.  Semi-implicit Euler did not seem to be much better than Euler.  I had good results with RK45 and Midpoint, but they are more expensive ( I can't recall if they were better than equivilant substeps of Euler or not ).<br><br>Adding joint damping helps.  Most actual applications to constrained systems will have plenty of limits and collisions, so the stability in practice is not a problem.<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=323">mewert</a> — Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:52 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[Antonio Martini]]></name></author>
		<updated>2007-01-30T15:55:53+00:00</updated>

		<published>2007-01-30T15:55:53+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=3387#p3387</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=3387#p3387"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Re: Featherstone Stability]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=3387#p3387"><![CDATA[
<blockquote class="uncited"><div>I've implemented Featherstone's algorithm in 2D and I've observed some stability problems for multi-link pendulums at large angular velocities.<br><br>The case I'm using is identical to Demo 0 in Box2D: a 10-link pendulum starting with zero velocity, aligned with the horizontal axis. The pendulum swings down then folds over onto itself (no collision), then starts whipping around and shortly blows up.<br><br>My integrator is semi-implicit Euler:<br>qDot = qDot + dt * qDotDot<br>q = q + dt * qDot<br><br>I believe the instability is due to velocity-squared inertia forces. I can't remove the v-squared terms because they are necessary to get a plausible simulation.<br><br>Here are some solutions:<br>- clamp the joint's relative angular velocity and use damping.<br>- if the angular velocity is large then integrate the v-squared terms with sub-steps. This can be viewed as adaptive integration.<br><br>Has anyone ran into this problem? Are there any other tricks to deal with the instability?</div></blockquote>- increase inertia<br>- add joint limits . This will definitely fix it<br><br>cheers,<br>Antonio<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=145">Antonio Martini</a> — Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:55 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[Erin Catto]]></name></author>
		<updated>2007-01-30T02:11:02+00:00</updated>

		<published>2007-01-30T02:11:02+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=3382#p3382</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=3382#p3382"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Featherstone Stability]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=3382#p3382"><![CDATA[
I've implemented Featherstone's algorithm in 2D and I've observed some stability problems for multi-link pendulums at large angular velocities.<br><br>The case I'm using is identical to Demo 0 in Box2D: a 10-link pendulum starting with zero velocity, aligned with the horizontal axis. The pendulum swings down then folds over onto itself (no collision), then starts whipping around and shortly blows up.<br><br>My integrator is semi-implicit Euler:<br>qDot = qDot + dt * qDotDot<br>q = q + dt * qDot<br><br>I believe the instability is due to velocity-squared inertia forces. I can't remove the v-squared terms because they are necessary to get a plausible simulation.<br><br>Here are some solutions:<br>- clamp the joint's relative angular velocity and use damping.<br>- if the angular velocity is large then integrate the v-squared terms with sub-steps. This can be viewed as adaptive integration.<br><br>Has anyone ran into this problem? Are there any other tricks to deal with the instability?<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=12">Erin Catto</a> — Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:11 am</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
	</feed>
