<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:lang="en-gb">
	<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/9464" />

	<title>Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum</title>
	
	<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/index.php" />
	<updated>2013-10-17T04:11:54+00:00</updated>

	<author><name><![CDATA[Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum]]></name></author>
	<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/9464</id>

		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[Erwin Coumans]]></name></author>
		<updated>2013-10-17T04:11:54+00:00</updated>

		<published>2013-10-17T04:11:54+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=31957#p31957</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=31957#p31957"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Re: Margins: added or subtracted]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=31957#p31957"><![CDATA[
You could always use internal/embedded margins. For convex shapes, you need to make some effort, to shrink the original convex hull.<br>In the case of Bullet, there is a utility to shrink the convex hull and recompute its vertices, so you can embed the margin.<br>In a nutshell:<br>1) create plane equations, given the vertices of the convex hull<br>2) move the plane equations inwards, over the collision margin<br>3) re-compute vertices at the intersection of the new plane equations<br> (see btGeometryUtil::getPlaneEquationsFromVertices and ConvexDecompositionDemo SHRINK_OBJECT_INWARDS)<br><br>And indeed, using margins, either embedded inside the original shape or added/extended outside of the shape, will make the edges and corners rounded,<br>so it is an approximation (except for spheres obviously). As long as you don't use large margins, the error is not big.<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=2">Erwin Coumans</a> — Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:11 am</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[zenux]]></name></author>
		<updated>2013-10-07T18:46:35+00:00</updated>

		<published>2013-10-07T18:46:35+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=31901#p31901</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=31901#p31901"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Margins: added or subtracted]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=31901#p31901"><![CDATA[
Hello,<br><br>I'm trying to create a small physics engine for fun.<br>I have implemented GJK and EPA algorithms.<br><br>Now, I would like to use these algorithms: use GJK for small depth penetrations and EPA for the rest (hybrid algorithm). To do that, I need margin on my objects.<br>When I read the Bullet user manual, we can see that the margins are sometimes subtracted from objects (box shape) or sometimes added to object (convex hull, cylinder, cone).<br><br>Why we don't subtract the margin for convex hull ? What are the difficulties ?<br>Moreover, add the margin to convex hull will "round' the convex hull which will cause some imprecision errors, no ?<br><br>Thank you in advance.<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=10153">zenux</a> — Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:46 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
	</feed>
