<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:lang="en-gb">
	<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/7917" />

	<title>Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum</title>
	
	<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/index.php" />
	<updated>2012-02-27T14:59:12+00:00</updated>

	<author><name><![CDATA[Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum]]></name></author>
	<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/7917</id>

		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[onako]]></name></author>
		<updated>2012-02-27T14:59:12+00:00</updated>

		<published>2012-02-27T14:59:12+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=27200#p27200</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=27200#p27200"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Decreasing the function value in a single step]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=27200#p27200"><![CDATA[
Given certain function $f(X)$ which is quadratic in $X$, <br>in order to obtain its min, I set the derivative to $0$ to obtain <br><br>$$\nabla f(X) = AX-b $$             [1]<br><br>So, the solution to the following linear system<br><br>$$AX=b $$            [2]<br><br>with the unknown $X$ would give me the value that minimizes $f(X)$. Since $A$ is strictly diagonally dominant, <br>the system is solved by Jacobi iteration known to converge to exact solution in this case. <br><br>However, I'm interested if only $a$ $single$ iteration of Jacobi method on some<br>arbitrary initialization $X_0$ would yield result $X_1$ that satisfies $f(X_1)&lt;f(X_0)$.<br><br>The Jacobi method is known to yield "progressively better results" to the linear system, <br>but I'm not sure what this implies precisely, and what implications it might have on the above optimization attempt. <br>I found that the Jacobi iterands $\{X_0, X_1, \dots, X_{k-1}, X_{k}\}$ satisfy<br><br>$$||X-X_k||_2 &lt; ||X-X_{k-1}||_2 $$          [3]<br><br>where $X$ is the true solution to (2). Does the proof on the convergence of Jacobi actually imply (3)? <br>And, if so, does that imply progressively lower values of $f(X_k)$, $k\in\{0, 1, \dots, \}$?<br><br>Any other way (or suggestion) on proving $f(X_1)&lt;f(X_0)$ is welcome. Well, the intuition tells me<br>I'm right, but that is not enough.<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=9141">onako</a> — Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:59 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
	</feed>
