<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:lang="en-gb">
	<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/264" />

	<title>Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum</title>
	
	<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/index.php" />
	<updated>2006-04-05T22:09:48+00:00</updated>

	<author><name><![CDATA[Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum]]></name></author>
	<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/264</id>

		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[ngbinh]]></name></author>
		<updated>2006-04-05T22:09:48+00:00</updated>

		<published>2006-04-05T22:09:48+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=871#p871</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=871#p871"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Computing distance]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=871#p871"><![CDATA[
Thanks for the quick response!<br>It's really hard to work on the dynamics part alone (without knowing about stuff in CD).<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=225">ngbinh</a> — Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:09 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[Erwin Coumans]]></name></author>
		<updated>2006-04-05T21:46:16+00:00</updated>

		<published>2006-04-05T21:46:16+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=869#p869</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=869#p869"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Computing distance]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=869#p869"><![CDATA[
This is called contact manifold generation. There have been a couple of similar postings/questions recently.<br>When using GJK, you need to gather multiple points. Several methods exist, Bullet uses currently Persistent Manifold that adds one closest point at a time, and keeps a small point set persistent over frames. Please see other postings about this:<br><br><a href="http://continuousphysics.com/Bullet/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=288" class="postlink">http://continuousphysics.com/Bullet/php ... .php?t=288</a><br><br>Another approach, very suitable for polyhedra and in combination with Separating Axis Test based collision detection: you can explicitly build the manifold by finding two parallel planes and perform clipping using edge-planes.<br>If I got time I might start writing some white-paper about Contact Manifold generation in combination with GJK.<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=2">Erwin Coumans</a> — Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:46 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[ngbinh]]></name></author>
		<updated>2006-04-05T21:25:10+00:00</updated>

		<published>2006-04-05T21:25:10+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=868#p868</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=868#p868"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Computing distance]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=868#p868"><![CDATA[
Hi!<br>Another question:<br><br>Let me describe the scenario first:<br>Two body A,B are close (or already) in contact, I'd like to get all the features distance that &lt; some epsilon not just the closet one?<br><br>That features of collision detection are essential for my current time stepper to prevent intepenetrations, not just recover from penetration.<br><br>A side question: Anyone know of any physics engine implementation using that technique? <br><br>Thanks<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=225">ngbinh</a> — Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:25 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[gino]]></name></author>
		<updated>2006-03-19T18:19:23+00:00</updated>

		<published>2006-03-19T18:19:23+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=779#p779</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=779#p779"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Re: Computing distance]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=779#p779"><![CDATA[
<blockquote class="uncited"><div>Hi!<br>Anyone know of algorithm that compute the distances between two bodies as well as the penetration depth?<br>Could I modify Bullet to get the distances?<br><br>I need that distance because some time steppers use "prevent penetration" not "penetration correction" approach, so the distances are needed.<br><br>I'd guess SWIFT++ could return distance but no penetration<br>thanks</div></blockquote>SOLID 3.5 computes both the distance and the penetration depth for any combination  of convex shape types. SOLID 3.5 can be downloaded from <a href="http://www.dtecta.com" class="postlink">http://www.dtecta.com</a>.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Gino<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=4">gino</a> — Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:19 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[ngbinh]]></name></author>
		<updated>2006-03-17T23:21:27+00:00</updated>

		<published>2006-03-17T23:21:27+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=770#p770</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=770#p770"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Computing distance]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=770#p770"><![CDATA[
OK. That's great!<br>I didn't really dwell into Bullet, just messing around with higher level interfaces.<br><br>Thanks alot.<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=225">ngbinh</a> — Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:21 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[Erwin Coumans]]></name></author>
		<updated>2006-03-17T22:40:16+00:00</updated>

		<published>2006-03-17T22:40:16+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=769#p769</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=769#p769"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Re: Computing distance]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=769#p769"><![CDATA[
<blockquote class="uncited"><div>Hi!<br>Anyone know of algorithm that compute the distances between two bodies as well as the penetration depth?<br>Could I modify Bullet to get the distances?<br><br>I need that distance because some time steppers use "prevent penetration" not "penetration correction" approach, so the distances are needed.<br><br>I'd guess SWIFT++ could return distance but no penetration<br>thanks</div></blockquote>Bullet GJK gives you already the closest distance. See in ConvexHullDistance demo:<br><div class="codebox"><p>Code: </p><pre><code>PointCollector gjkOutput;GjkPairDetector::ClosestPointInput input;input.m_transformA = tr[0];input.m_transformB = tr[1];convexConvex.GetClosestPoints(input ,gjkOutput);</code></pre></div><div class="codebox"><p>Code: </p><pre><code>struct PointCollector : public DiscreteCollisionDetectorInterface::Result{SimdVector3 m_normalOnBInWorld;SimdVector3 m_pointInWorld;SimdScalarm_distance;//negative means penetration...</code></pre></div><br>There is currently penetration depth estimation, and a EPA implementation is contributed but not added to CVS yet. And more high-level interfaces, but in those cases there is broadphase culling, which prevents calculation of closest distance if objects are too far apart.<br><br>Erwin<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=2">Erwin Coumans</a> — Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:40 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[ngbinh]]></name></author>
		<updated>2006-03-17T21:40:54+00:00</updated>

		<published>2006-03-17T21:40:54+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=768#p768</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=768#p768"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Computing distance]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=768#p768"><![CDATA[
Hi!<br>Anyone know of algorithm that compute the distances between two bodies as well as the penetration depth?<br>Could I modify Bullet to get the distances?<br><br>I need that distance because some time steppers use "prevent penetration" not "penetration correction" approach, so the distances are needed.<br><br>I'd guess SWIFT++ could return distance but no penetration<br>thanks<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=225">ngbinh</a> — Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:40 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
	</feed>
