<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:lang="en-gb">
	<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/211" />

	<title>Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum</title>
	
	<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/index.php" />
	<updated>2006-01-20T06:08:57+00:00</updated>

	<author><name><![CDATA[Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum]]></name></author>
	<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/211</id>

		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[Christer Ericson]]></name></author>
		<updated>2006-01-20T06:08:57+00:00</updated>

		<published>2006-01-20T06:08:57+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=646#p646</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=646#p646"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Re: Convex Collision Detection for Rigid Body Physics on GPU]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=646#p646"><![CDATA[
I'm incredibly sceptical about the whole GPGPU thing in general. We (our team) are certainly not looking at doing any type of non-graphics computations on the GPU for our next generation games. We figure that there's so many computation-heavy graphics effects that we'll be using all GPU cycles for graphics alone (leaving no spare cycles for non-graphics stuff). It may be that I'm somewhat biased by having to target the PS3 only, where you have ample computing power on the SPUs for things such as collision detection, but I seriously doubt that you'll see people doing much non-graphics GPU computations (if at all) in the next generation. <br><br>Of course, I could be all wrong about the usefulness of GPGPU, which is part of why I included the GPU chapter in my book. I also included it for completeness and to point out some flaws in some early (and current) GPU-based collision work (namely sampling issues that cause collisions to go undetected). Because it's still too early to tell where GPGPU is headed I limited my coverage to the very basic stuff (thus the rather short chapter).<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=8">Christer Ericson</a> — Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:08 am</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[Erwin Coumans]]></name></author>
		<updated>2006-01-14T23:28:57+00:00</updated>

		<published>2006-01-14T23:28:57+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=628#p628</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=628#p628"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Re: Convex Collision Detection for Rigid Body Physics on GPU]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=628#p628"><![CDATA[
<blockquote class="uncited"><div><blockquote class="uncited"><div>In a nutshell, there are optimizations for complex shapes, by porting BVH to the GPU, and Cullide. However I haven't seen basic convex collision detection on GPU. Signed Distance Maps on GPU, or other solutions? </div></blockquote>Perhaps Christer Ericson has some knowledge on the subject for us (you know, since he's on this forum)...<br>The table of contents of his book, "Real-Time Collision Detection", lists chapter 10 as:<br><br><strong class="text-strong">10 GPU-Assisted Collision Detection</strong><br>10.1 Interfacing with the GPU 10.1.1 Buffer Readbacks 10.1.2 Occlusion Queries <strong class="text-strong">10.2 Testing Convex Objects</strong> 10.3 Testing Concave Objects 10.4 GPU-Based Collision Filtering 10.5 Summary</div></blockquote>Thanks for mentioning the book and chapter. I just read it, but it is not what I need. It describes a screenspace method, that just gives a boolean result. <br><br>I am looking for methods using GPU shader calculations that gives contact details, point, normal and distance/depth between 2 convex objects. Either the deepest contact, a couple of good contacts or all contacts. Essentially enough to build contact constraints.<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=2">Erwin Coumans</a> — Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:28 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[dcoming]]></name></author>
		<updated>2006-01-11T14:38:35+00:00</updated>

		<published>2006-01-11T14:38:35+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=623#p623</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=623#p623"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Re: Convex Collision Detection for Rigid Body Physics on GPU]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=623#p623"><![CDATA[
<blockquote class="uncited"><div>In a nutshell, there are optimizations for complex shapes, by porting BVH to the GPU, and Cullide. However I haven't seen basic convex collision detection on GPU. Signed Distance Maps on GPU, or other solutions? </div></blockquote>Perhaps Christer Ericson has some knowledge on the subject for us (you know, since he's on this forum)...<br>The table of contents of his book, "Real-Time Collision Detection", lists chapter 10 as:<br><br><strong class="text-strong">10 GPU-Assisted Collision Detection</strong><br>10.1 Interfacing with the GPU 10.1.1 Buffer Readbacks 10.1.2 Occlusion Queries <strong class="text-strong">10.2 Testing Convex Objects</strong> 10.3 Testing Concave Objects 10.4 GPU-Based Collision Filtering 10.5 Summary<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=268">dcoming</a> — Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:38 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[Erwin Coumans]]></name></author>
		<updated>2006-01-11T13:47:29+00:00</updated>

		<published>2006-01-11T13:47:29+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=621#p621</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=621#p621"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Convex Collision Detection for Rigid Body Physics on GPU?]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=621#p621"><![CDATA[
Posted this already on gpgpu.org<br><a href="http://www.gpgpu.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1877" class="postlink">http://www.gpgpu.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1877</a><br><br>In a nutshell, there are optimizations for complex shapes, by porting BVH to the GPU, and Cullide. However I haven't seen basic convex collision detection on GPU. Signed Distance Maps on GPU, or other solutions? <br><br>Anyone?<br><br>Erwin<br><br>ps: please reply either on this forum or gpgpu.org, I will extract the useful data and copy here anyway.<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=2">Erwin Coumans</a> — Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:47 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
	</feed>
