<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:lang="en-gb">
	<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/13341" />

	<title>Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum</title>
	
	<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/index.php" />
	<updated>2021-12-27T16:24:40+00:00</updated>

	<author><name><![CDATA[Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum]]></name></author>
	<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/13341</id>

		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[Brian Beuken]]></name></author>
		<updated>2021-12-27T16:24:40+00:00</updated>

		<published>2021-12-27T16:24:40+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43771#p43771</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43771#p43771"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Re: Determining damage from impacts?]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43771#p43771"><![CDATA[
yeah that makes sense.... was hoping there be some kind of internal impact value, but ok, I think I can work it out based on the velocity and inertia values...<br><br>I'll see how it goes...thanks<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=12284">Brian Beuken</a> — Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:24 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[drleviathan]]></name></author>
		<updated>2021-12-27T15:08:24+00:00</updated>

		<published>2021-12-27T15:08:24+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43770#p43770</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43770#p43770"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Re: Determining damage from impacts?]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43770#p43770"><![CDATA[
I don't know of a simple way.  I think some of the details of collisions, such as internal tension forces between bodies, are never even computed.  Instead a collection of contact constraints that try to prevent rigid bodies from intepenetrating are iteratively "solved" using linear algebra and the results are: new positions and velocities.  The intermediary forces involved are not known: they were whatever they had to be to maintain the constraints.<br><br>You will probably have to write custom logic to infer collision forces.  For example: you could measure impulse (delta momentum) experienced by pairs of colliding objects and combine that with knowledge about the object relative sizes and mass to infer whether damage was done.<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=11033">drleviathan</a> — Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:08 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[Brian Beuken]]></name></author>
		<updated>2021-12-27T14:36:34+00:00</updated>

		<published>2021-12-27T14:36:34+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43769#p43769</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43769#p43769"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Determining damage from impacts?]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43769#p43769"><![CDATA[
Hi all,<br>sorry if this  has been asked before, I had a look through the forum but can't find anything.<br><br>I have my 3D space game up and running pretty well, collisions for projectiles/rockets/ etc all going well. And I can comfortably detect when objects hit each other and allow them to bounce off while still registering the fact a collision occured and doing scraping sound effects .. But... I'd like to determine a way to decide hiowmuch damage an impact should to do both objects in a collission, especially if one of my ships is ramming the other?<br><br>Is there a simple way to  get that from the collision response systems? There's a difference beween glancing blows which do little damage and contact and head on collision which could/should detroy one or both, but I can't think of an easy way to test?<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=12284">Brian Beuken</a> — Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:36 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
	</feed>
