<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:lang="en-gb">
	<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/13227" />

	<title>Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum</title>
	
	<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/index.php" />
	<updated>2021-06-29T00:23:44+00:00</updated>

	<author><name><![CDATA[Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum]]></name></author>
	<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/13227</id>

		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[sogartar]]></name></author>
		<updated>2021-06-29T00:23:44+00:00</updated>

		<published>2021-06-29T00:23:44+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43464#p43464</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43464#p43464"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Torque control with setJointMotorControl2 and invariance to time step size]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43464#p43464"><![CDATA[
I am using setJointMotorControl2 and it's TORQUE_CONTROL mode to control a wheel. It uses a continuous joint with some damping.<br>I was surprised to find out that the time step size has a significant effect on the outcome of the simulation.<br>I let the wheel, that is just a cylinder, to just rotate without touching anything. Each time step I set the torque with setJointMotorControl2. I let the wheel reach terminal velocity and measure the joint velocity with getJointState.<br>At 100 FPS the terminal velocity is 50.<br>At 500 FPS the terminal velocity is 37.<br>At 800 FPS the terminal velocity is 28.<br>At 1000 FPS the terminal velocity is 0 (the wheel stops spinning completely).<br><br>My understanding is that supplying a constant torque all the time should result in a simulation that is invariant to time step size aside from numerical errors. How is torque control with setJointMotorControl2 supposed to work?<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=14012">sogartar</a> — Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:23 am</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
	</feed>
