<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:lang="en-gb">
	<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/13101" />

	<title>Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum</title>
	
	<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/index.php" />
	<updated>2021-02-18T17:03:50+00:00</updated>

	<author><name><![CDATA[Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum]]></name></author>
	<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/13101</id>

		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[kiaran]]></name></author>
		<updated>2021-02-18T17:03:50+00:00</updated>

		<published>2021-02-18T17:03:50+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43319#p43319</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43319#p43319"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Re: recent PBD papers]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43319#p43319"><![CDATA[
I'm a big fan of the Detailed Rigid Bodies paper for a few reasons.<br><br>For one, it explains the guts of rigid body simulation better than other papers in the field that typically reference a dense thesis or abstract mathematical paper. There's a lot of distilled wisdom in that paper which is great for engineering applications.<br><br>Secondly, the paper eliminates a lot of the concerns with PBD around using real-world units.<br><br>I don't know of any engines that are using the "many substeps, single iteration" method yet. Though they demonstrate very promising results with it.<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=13908">kiaran</a> — Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:03 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[raigan2]]></name></author>
		<updated>2020-11-04T20:47:34+00:00</updated>

		<published>2020-11-04T20:47:34+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43178#p43178</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43178#p43178"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[recent PBD papers]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43178#p43178"><![CDATA[
I've been getting back into sim/pbd stuff after nearly a decade, and there have been a couple really interesting Position Based Dynamics papers released recently that I wanted to put on everyone's radar:<br><br>This one is really mind-blowing -- tiny time steps with a single-solver-iteration per step behaves a lot better than bigger steps with multiple solver iterations: <a href="https://matthias-research.github.io/pages/publications/smallsteps.pdf" class="postlink">https://matthias-research.github.io/pag ... lsteps.pdf</a><br><br>And more recently, a fully PBD-based rigid body simulation: <a href="https://matthias-research.github.io/pages/publications/PBDBodies.pdf" class="postlink">https://matthias-research.github.io/pag ... Bodies.pdf</a><br><br>it looks like they still haven't solved the "collision detection needs to be moved into the solver, which is a big bottleneck" problem -- they're still doing "speculative constraints" (generating collision constraints for all *nearby* objects and then during solving skipping any that don't penetrate), and at a lower rate than the tiny steps. I wonder if an incremental approach might help, since when you're ticking at 1-2.4khz things are barely moving each tick.<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=748">raigan2</a> — Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:47 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
	</feed>
