<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:lang="en-gb">
	<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/13092" />

	<title>Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum</title>
	
	<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/index.php" />
	<updated>2020-10-22T15:01:31+00:00</updated>

	<author><name><![CDATA[Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum]]></name></author>
	<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/13092</id>

		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[drleviathan]]></name></author>
		<updated>2020-10-22T15:01:31+00:00</updated>

		<published>2020-10-22T15:01:31+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43163#p43163</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43163#p43163"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Re: Screw Fastening Simulation]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43163#p43163"><![CDATA[
Do you want to simulate accurate or semi-accurate physics of threaded nut on bolt?  Or do you just want an interactive threaded nut on bolt behavior (e.g. as a game mechanic)?<br><br>If the former then Bullet might not be accurate enough, since it is a rigid body simulation and accurate nut on bolt physics, especially when tightened, would probably require some flex.  Yes, Bullet has "soft-body physics" but I doubt it is up to the task.  I'm not sure about that.  Perhaps you could scale and tune the physics simulation to give decent non-real-time results, but it would require blood sweat and knowledge.<br><br>If the latter, then yes I believe it could be done.  You could "fake" it with a custom Action.  The <strong class="text-strong">btActionInterface</strong> is an interface with a pure virtual method called <strong class="text-strong">updateAction()</strong>.  You could derive <strong class="text-strong">NutBoltAction</strong> from that interface, and implement the method to keep track of the nut and bolt interaction.  When you add your Action to the simulation then Bullet will call its <strong class="text-strong">updateAction()</strong> every substep.  Alternatively, if you know how to write the <strong class="text-strong">Jacobian</strong> of the threaded behavior you could to write your own custom constraint.<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=11033">drleviathan</a> — Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:01 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[gary]]></name></author>
		<updated>2020-10-21T15:54:17+00:00</updated>

		<published>2020-10-21T15:54:17+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43162#p43162</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43162#p43162"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Screw Fastening Simulation]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=43162#p43162"><![CDATA[
Hi all, I would like to implement a simulation for threading a bolt through a nut and other related screw fastening activities. I saw a video of related behavior: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmgrAB8PN50&amp;ab_channel=ErwinCoumans" class="postlink">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmgrAB8 ... winCoumans</a>, where a nut and bolt are grouped together using contact constraints.<br><br>Is there a way to also model the screwing action itself? Perhaps something similar to the dynamic simulation in Autodesk Inventor: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5QYOJpL5E8&amp;ab_channel=CADCAMTUTORIAL" class="postlink">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5QYOJp ... AMTUTORIAL</a>. I'd like to be able to parameterize this behavior by setting factors like required torque, duration of the screwing, and others.<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=13797">gary</a> — Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:54 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
	</feed>
