<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:lang="en-gb">
	<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/1228" />

	<title>Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum</title>
	
	<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/index.php" />
	<updated>2007-06-15T15:19:52+00:00</updated>

	<author><name><![CDATA[Real-Time Physics Simulation Forum]]></name></author>
	<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/app.php/feed/topic/1228</id>

		<entry>
		<author><name><![CDATA[SimonDM]]></name></author>
		<updated>2007-06-15T15:19:52+00:00</updated>

		<published>2007-06-15T15:19:52+00:00</published>
		<id>https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=4499#p4499</id>
		<link href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=4499#p4499"/>
		<title type="html"><![CDATA[Penalty force method]]></title>

		
		<content type="html" xml:base="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=4499#p4499"><![CDATA[
Hello, I'm working on the topic of yarn simulation, slightly related to cloth simulation. I have already written a working program. The collision resolution method I used to far however was not one I found back in literature:<br><br>1. project the penetrating point normal on the surface<br>2. adjust the speed: v = vT - beta*vN<br>3. adjust the force: F = F - µ*FN*vT/||vT||<br><br>T and N stand for the tranversal and normal component, beta is 0 for inelastic collision and 1 for fully elastic collision and µ is the friction coefficient.<br><br>I recently found that a penalty force F = k*d (d the penetration distance)method gives a better result, as in the tension profile is smoother. However I have a few questions regarding this:<br><br>1. How best to choose k?<br>2. Is there a maximum/minimum limit to k?<br>3. What about adding damping?<br><br>Concerning question 2, I thought the maximum would be determined by the CFL (Courant Friedrichs Levy if I remember correctly) criterion and be limited to E/deltal with E the elasticity modulus of my yarn and deltal the yarn grid size, but upon simulation this doesn't seem to be the case.<br><br>Concerning question 3, I tried modelling surface contact using a spring damper system. From underdamped systems I then find a value for the viscosity of my damper, using the mathematical requirement that the speed when a yarn node bumps off the surface again needs to be equal to the original speed times beta, in the opposite direction. If beta equals 0 however, this means that it may take almost forever for the node to be lying on the surface again. Is there a better way to resolve with a certain damping?<p>Statistics: Posted by <a href="https://pybullet.org/Bullet/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=1790">SimonDM</a> — Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:19 pm</p><hr />
]]></content>
	</entry>
	</feed>
